Sunday, March 15, 2009

WA Draft 1

532 Words

Lovely lovely blooming day. Pot stickers and cucumber salad. Mmmm. Usually I don’t get to watch the ceremony- too busy prepping the food. Interesting choices, and the couple isn’t even Asian. I found this out early, when I went to unload some more canapés from the van. I caught a glimpse of the Bride putting out her cigarette before taking her fathers arm to walk down the aisle. One of the perks of a backyard wedding, I guess…that, and the saved costs allowing the services of the most expensive catering service in the city to accommodate your wedding. From the snippets of wedding ceremonies I’ve seen, this is the most unconventional. There are at least seven Buddhist monks in traditional garb, and a lady in a hat that has to be part of her religion.

The Bride looks determined. Thankfully, I’ll never be in her position. As beautiful as the concept of marriage is, the only soul I feel devoted to is my cat. My therapist says the love I feel for Tanta Elsa mirrors the love I don’t feel for myself. But if I don’t love myself, how should I love others? I came into this industry simply to cater and supply for other peoples love. If I am assisting the gift of love, why do I, personally, need it?

To me, the cake is the symbol of the Bride and Groom’s love for each other. The cake we crafted for the occasion we were given no limitations on: there were no special requests or guidelines for it, and the families were willing to spend an excess of, well, a lot. Our baker and decorating team were ecstatic, and embraced this cake as a way to prove to the company how good they actually were. It was not a cake that ended up being made, but a piece of art. The creation that stands alone on a table underneath the big tent is worthy of a magazine cover; the wedding cake of every little girls wildest dreams.

On the table stands a 5 tier cake. The first two tiers are three layers of chocolate cake filled with a layer of raspberry filling and cream buttercream. The other three tiers are three layers of white cake filled with a layer of chocolate ganache, and a layer of mocha butter cream. The cake is covered in vanilla butter cream and finished with pale fondant. The lace pattern on the Bride’s dress was recreated with marzipan, and winds up the side of the cake, along with sugar paste Queen Anne’s Lace flowers. The cake is connected to another four satellite cakes by staircases adorned with more carefully crafted flowers, winding sugar honeysuckle, and a water fountain. Fresh flowers decorate the table, and a knife monogrammed with the couple’s initials invites them to destroy the masterpiece.

None of us in the kitchen can watch as they cut into the cake. I open my eyes to see the Groom attempt to manfully swallow the piece of cake being shoved down his throat by his mock-aggressive Bride.

Imagine that; being able to celebrate monogamy happily. It must be nice to have a human soul mate.

No comments: